Frida Kahlo y sus Animalitos
Frida Kahlo y sus Animalitos, written by Monica Brown and illustrated by John Parra, is based on the life of one of the world’s most influential painters, Frida Kahlo, and the animals that inspired her art and life.
Brown’s story recounts Frida’s beloved pets—two monkeys, a parrot, three dogs, two turkeys, an eagle, a black cat, and a fawn—and playfully considers how Frida embodied many wonderful characteristics of each animal.
Expressive acrylic paintings expertly evoke Kahlo's style and color palette.
Vicky Smith, Kirkus Reviews
This unique and gorgeous take on the famous figure’s work will give children an accessible entry point to an important artist. A good choice for picture book biography shelves.
Shelley M. Diaz, School Library Journal
Not the first Frida Kahlo picture book biography and certainly not the last, but maybe one of the most successful...Plus you get John Parra’s art as an extra bonus. That guy’s amazing.
Elizabeth Bird, A Fuse #8 Production, School Library Journal
- Pura Belpré Illustrator Honor , 2018
- ALA Notable Children's Book, 2018
- Bank Street Best Children's Book of the Year, 2018
- New York Times/New York Public Library Best Illustrated Children's Book, 2017
- Barnes & Noble Best Book, 2017
- Smithsonian Top Ten Best Children's Book, 2017